Business activity in the modern world heavily depends upon business communication. The business organization can only achieve success through effective business communication. Success in today’s business world largely depends upon the ability of managers & employees to communicate effectively with each other & with those outside the organization. For properly understanding the concept of business communication, you will have to know objectives of business communication.
In every field of business, be it personal, finance or sale, much depends upon the efficiency and effectiveness of communication networks. Therefore, the business organization has acquired a significant place in the modern world of globalization. An effective communication system in the organization makes it easier to coordinate various business activities. That is why the effectiveness of their communication ability determines the effectiveness of the management.
Definition of Business communication
Business communication may be defined as “the use of effective language for conveying a commercial or industrial message to achieve a predetermined purpose”. The purpose of every communication in business is to obtain specific results.
According to R.ludlow & Fergus panton
“A business communication is a process of transfer of information and understanding between different parts and people of a business organization. It consists of various modes & media involved in communication interchanges.”
Business communication is similar to any other communication but is concerned explicitly with predetermined business activities, which are very well-defined instead. It serves as a powerful link between various components of the organization.
Though business communication is a specialized branch of general communication, the two have no basic differences. The process is the same & so are the principles that regulate them. The difference lies in their application to situations.
- General communication is concerned with sending & receiving all sorts of messages.
- It plays many roles in the world at large.
- It can be a simple exchange of ideas, facts or information.
- It can be non-linguistic. Where by way of symbols, such as traffic lights, road signs etc., we are communicated.
- Business communication is a specialized branch of general communication.
- It is specifically concerned with business activities.
- The purpose of this communication is very well defined.
- It is an art where language plays a significant role.
Hence, communication is an ongoing process in a business organization as in day-to-day life. So this leads to the need for effective communication for a business organization to grow & maintain itself properly.
Characteristics/Features of Business communication
- This is highly objective & impartial.
- It is primarily concerned with industrial & commercial subjects.
- Serves as a primary vehicle for truthfully transmitting business/organizational activity.
- Every care is taken to convey information in a concise & accurate manner.
- The language used in business communication is concise, plain, direct & to the point.
- Business communication consists of certain formal elements, such as technical & commercial vocabulary.
- Its purpose is to produce the desired response without any ambiguity.
Top 5 Objectives of Business Communication
The objectives of business communication are as follows:
1. To Send Informative Messages
- Any business organization requires to be an effective communicator to ensure proper functioning.
- The management is responsible for effectively communicating with the people about the policies, goals & targets achieved.
- This information updates people & makes them understand what is expected of them.
2. To Receive Suggestions
Each organization has suggestion boxes which indicate that these organizations are open for communication & they would appreciate it. It is one of the objectives of business communication.
- There are leaflets and self-addressed envelopes circulated by specific organizations to invite suggestions for further improvement in their goods or services.
- Any complaints in manufacturing or grievance against services offered are also welcome through communication. This is an essential objective of communication.
- One must know one weakness to turn it into a strength. Hence this is an essential objective of business communication.
- Often advice is also sought from important business houses & influential people through communication.
- Within the organization, employees are advised in a strictly confidential manner where the tone is not to hurt one’s ego or to make them feel guilty.
It should be in a manner capable of making it understand & feel that the next move should be towards the right direction.
3. To Instruct
Orders are both oral as well as in writing. Instruction within the organization is communication which goes from seniors to juniors.
4. To Remove Rumors
To get maximum benefits from the potential of its workers, the organization communicate from time to time with them to remove their fears like company closures, rumors of deterioration in sales, and frequent resignations. These topics are discussed so that there is a free flow of thoughts & emotions among employees & employers & a cordial atmosphere.
These communications aim at removing rumours & making workers feel belongingness to the organization.
5. Motivate Employees
Most organizations arrange motivational sessions very frequently. They call people who speak on motivation and make each employee fully charged. This way of communication helps an organization build a friendly & truthful environment. Hence this purpose of communication in business does not get defeated.
Communication is necessary at every level of business organization. Without communication, any activity cannot be possible. For proper communication, two parties are compulsory that receives the message in the correct manner.