If there is one thing that can waste your content marketing efforts, it’s plagiarism. Plagiarism is the practice of taking content from an online source and then utilizing it for your purposes without giving the due credit.
As you can guess from the definition, it’s not something ethical. It can have many consequences for your content marketing efforts. In this post, let’s take a gander at why plagiarism-free content is the “need of the hour” in content marketing nowadays.
What is Plagiarism-Free Content?
Although plagiarism sounds straightforward, it’s a bit complicated. There are different ways in which people can plagiarize stuff. And when we talk about plagiarism-free content, we mean content that does not contain any plagiarism in any shape and form whatsoever.
Here are some other ways in which plagiarism can perpetrates in content:
- When material from another source is used in a piece of content without giving due credit, this is referred to as mosaic plagiarism. And as is the case with other types of plagiarism, it’s unethical and is also wrought with a glut of consequences.
- This is known as source-based plagiarism if the content contains stuff taken from another source without the proper kudos.
The list goes on.
In a nutshell, unique content does not contain any type or instance of plagiarism.
Importance of Plagiarism-Free Content in Content Marketing
Here are some reasons why unique content is important in content marketing:
1. Unique Content is Necessary for Avoiding Search Engine Penalties
Search engines are one of the most important content marketing channels. Search engines are the home ground of SEO – one of the major branches and techniques of content marketing.
When a website engages in content marketing via means such as blogging and publishing high-quality product descriptions, etc., it relies on an authoritative ranking in the SERPs to expose itself to its target audience.
If such a website uses plagiarized content, its SERP ranking can take a hit, and it (the website) can relegate to the oblivion of the unexplored pages in the search results.
And that brings us to the first reason why unique content is important for content marketing: it helps avoid the penalties usually levied by search engines on plagiarized texts.
2. Unique Content Helps Build Brand Trust
No person will ever trust a brand if they know the latter to commit plagiarism. Plagiarism is unethical, and this negative impression automatically spreads to the brand that commits it. That is why, plagiarism- free content is necessary. If you are looking to build trust in the eyes of your customers (which is one of the main goals of content marketing), you need to make sure that your content is unique and authoritative. What’s not unique (and uncredited) is automatically not authoritative. At times, using existing content can become inevitable, but there are ways in which you can do without impugning your brand trust. You can put the borrowed content into quotation marks or paraphrase it.
3. Unique Content is Necessary for Standing Out in the Competition
If you are selling items or services in a particular niche, you have a lot of other brands as competition. And in that competition, you need to make yourself stick out. By creating unique content, you can keep yourself afloat in the competition.
For example, if some brands create and publish good content, and you fail to do the same, your brand could look like an ugly duckling. In other words, it would only attract so many customers in the presence of better-providing alternatives. This is another reason why unique content is vital to content marketing.
Tips for Ensuring Uniqueness in Your Content
Now that we’re done looking at the importance of uniqueness, let’s look at how you can ensure it in your content.
We will list the tips briefly so that you can easily understand them.
- First of all, you should make a good effort during research. When you want to write any content, you should snag information from multiple sources to eliminate any chances of similarities getting rubbed off on your content from a single source.
- When writing the content itself, you should refrain from perusing a source directly for any point. You’ll be able to avoid them that way accidental plagiarism.
- After finishing your paper, use an online tool to check for plagiarism. Use multiple tools so that there is no room for error to be safe. If you
- Find plagiarism in your work, you can use an online plagiarism remover to get rid of it.
In conclusion, plagiarism is wrong and has numerous negative effects on content marketing. Use unique content anywhere and wherever you need to if you want to make sure your content marketing strategy is effective.